'Terrible tragedy' in Brazil: 41 killed in worst highway accident in the country in nearly 20 years
'Terrible tragedy' in Brazil: 41 killed in worst highway accident in the country in nearly 20 years

At least 41 people were killed early Saturday (December 21) in a devastating bus crash in southeastern Brazil, authorities said.
The accident, which occurred in Minas Gerais state, is the deadliest on Brazil’s federal highways since 2007, according to the Federal Highway Police (PRF).
The country’s President, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, described as a “terrible tragedy.”
Lula took to social media to offer prayers for “the recovery of the survivors of this terrible tragedy” and send condolences to the victims’ families.
The Civil Police told reporters Sunday (December 22) that “41 bodies” had been removed from the accident scene near the mining town of Teofilo Otoni, in Minas Gerais state.
Preliminary investigations suggest a block of granite “possibly” fell from a truck traveling in the opposite direction, striking the bus, the PRF said in a statement. The truck driver fled the scene, firefighters said.
The crash occurred around 4 a.m. as the bus, traveling from São Paulo to Vitória da Conquista in Bahia state, collided with a truck and caught fire. Officials said another vehicle struck the bus from behind, though its occupants survived.
What's Your Reaction?






